I had trouble writing to ntfs drives since upgrading to Sierra. In order to write to it:
- get the name of the drive(replacing all spaces with “\040”)
- open terminal and enter sudo nano /etc/fstab
- copy LABEL=disk none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse (replace disk with name of hard drive)
- ctrl+o to save,enter,ctrl+x to exit
- unmount and mount drive and you should not be able to see it in your finder
- but navigate to \Volumes via the finder options Go->Go to folder… will let you see the drive.
EDIT 10/09/2017: Sometimes the files I have placed into the hard drive become greyed out the next time I view them and I can not export them to another device properly.
Running this line of code in the folder containing the greyed out files fixes the problem.
for f in *.*; do xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo "$f"; done;